Yamaha Motorcycle tests
- The bike that started the four-stroke revolution benefits from chassis refinements that ensure the five-titanium-valved YZ450F remains at the head of the open-class pack.
- Subtle modifications to the suspension mean light, precise, confident handling at any speed.
- Head and exhaust design delivers stronger low- to midrange power without sacrificing top end power.
- Ready to race straight out of the crate VbCrLfwith a ProTaper aluminum handlebar in adjustable clamps, titanium shock spring, gripper seat, Excel rims, etc.
- Five-speed gearbox provides maximum flexibility and the right gear for a wide range of riding environments.
- Dry sump lubrication system circulates more oil for the best durability in motocross.
- Top triple clamp has two sets of mounting holes, providing 4 handlebar positions to suit a wide variety of riders: standard, 10mm back, or 10mm or 20mm forward.
- Newly designed swingarm is lighter and helps to achieve excellent rigidity balance for superb cornering and rear wheel traction.
- Lightweight suspension linkage is redesigned to match the new swingarm.
- New rear wheel hub is lighter and designed for the larger 25mm diameter axle (up from 22mm), helping to achieve the overall rigidity balance of rear suspension components.
- New axle blocks make chain adjustment a cinch.
- New clutch lever is shorter, stronger, and lighter, with a lever position adjuster to accommodate different riders. Quick adjuster makes maintenance easy.
- Front brake hose clamp is now aluminum, greatly reducing its weight.
- New seat cover has great grip and more durability, and it Is easy to clean.
- Premium drive chain has gold colored plates for outstanding looks.
- 449cc, five-valve, DOHC, liquid-cooled engine is super-powerful yet tractable.
- 39mm Keihin FCR flat-slide carburetor with throttle position sensor (TPS) and leak jet delivers precise fuel/air mixture and instant throttle response.
- Lightweight titanium valves and load-reduced springs minimize reciprocating mass for fast-revving, hard-hitting power delivery across the rev range.
- Primary kickstarting with automatic decompression and convenient, handlebar-mounted hot start lever ensures easy restarts.
- Large-capacity radiator is reinforced for greater strength.
- Extensively tested aluminum frame uses a mix of alloy castings, forgings and extrusions to produce a tuned-flex frame that makes the YZ the finest-handling motocross bike ever.
- Speed-Sensitive System 48mm KYB fork damping force is controlled by piston speed: provides a smoother, more precise ride.
- Titanium-sprung, four-way adjustable rear shock with Kashima-coated internals reduces friction for fantastic compliance and great handling.
- More weight savings come via two-piece (part aluminum, part plastic) engine protector plates and thin-walled engine guard construction.
- Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for light weight and easy maintenance.
- Lightweight front-wheel hub for reduced unsprung weight and increased durability.
- Lightweight front- and rear-brake calipers with aluminum pistons and anti-bubble front master cylinder; wave-style rotors reduce unsprung weight and deliver strong stopping power.
- Wide (55mm) footpegs provide excellent boot traction and rider comfort.
- ProTaper aluminum handlebar for strength and performance.
- Works-style clutch lever features oversize barrel adjuster for easy, on-the-fly adjustability of lever/cable play.
- Repackable exhaust silencer.