WHAT IS IT? A fan-equipped helmet dryer that includes a three-hour timer, heat cycle and ozone phase.
WHAT’S IT COST? $129.99 (Power Dry), $29.99 (wall rack).
CONTACT? www.shockdoctor.com or (800) 233-6956.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Shock Doctor Power Dry helmet dryer.
(1) Function. After sweaty, rainy or muddy days of riding, you sit your wet helmet on top of the Power Dry, hit the power button, set the digital timer (from 10 minutes to 180 minutes), turn the ozone switch on, and select whether you want room temperature or heated air. The Power Dry will turn off automatically at the end of your time period, and your helmet’s liner will be dry.
(2) Highlights . Even if you don’t choose the heat or ozone modes, the Power Dry helmet dryer will dry your helmet by pumping room temperature air into the interior of the helmet. The heat function will speed up the drying time, while the ozone feature deodorizes your helmet. Shock Doctor claims that the Power Dry can reduce exposure to Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA). MRSA is a bacteria that causes skin infections that range from red bumps to carbuncles. Research has shown that ozonated air is an effective antibacterial treatment. Power Dry claims to kill 99.9 percent of these microbes with continual use.
(3) Performance. It works. It makes a wet helmet dry, but since it doesn’t clean your helmet, it can’t stop it from being a little crusty. If you sweat like an iron worker, ride in the rain or try to be a four-season racer, the Power Dry can come in handy. As for the antibacterial function, we’ve never met a motocross racer who has had any MRSA issues related to his helmet.
(4) Accessories. Shock Doctor makes a $29.99 wall hook system that allows you to hang the dryer and your helmet on a wall. It even has an extra hook for your tighty whities. We prefer to have the Power Dry flat on the workbench (where we can put wet air filters on top of it to dry them?on the no-heat mode).
(5) Warranty. The Power Dry has a one-year guarantee against defects in material or workmanship (and there were some problems with the initial production run).
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? The sun will do most of what the Power Dry will do…for free. Additionally, there are several scientific media reports that conclude that sunlight will kill MRSA bacteria in 15 minutes. Of course, on a rainy day the sun isn’t out.
It’s an expensive three-star luxury that most of us can live without. If you can’t live without it, it’s worth four stars.