WHAT IS IT? A carbon fiber pipe guard that protects your leathers from the pipe and the pipe from damage.
WHAT’S IT COST? $99.95.
CONTACT? (508) 295-0812 or www.elineaccessories.com.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with E-Line’s carbon fiber exhaust pipe guard.
(1) Be prepared. Motocross is expensive, but that doesn’t mean that you have to blow money out your exhaust pipe?well, not exactly out of the exhaust pipe, more like up against it. A four-stroke head pipe gets hot?really hot! If you don’t believe us, take your bike out on a dark night and let it idle for a few minutes. The head pipe will glow cherry red. It’s very pretty, but when your head pipe is that hot, it isn’t very strong. Not only can a crash damage a head pipe, but roost will ping the molten metal like a tap hammer. To make matters worse, if the nylon in your leathers touches the pipe, you can write off a $150 pair of leathers.
(2) Construction . E-Line produces the highest-quality carbon fiber in the biz. The E-Line pipe guard is laid up from multiple layers of cloth. It is thick, durable and attractive. This is a high-quality part.
(3) Heat shield . Not content just to produce a carbon fiber version of a stock heat shield, E-Line wraps the complete length of the head pipe, from stem to stern, in carbon fiber. This protects the pipe from rock and crash damage, but also saves the rider’s pants and skin from severe burns. Each carbon fiber composite head pipe protector is designed and contoured for specific stock or aftermarket headers. High-temperature resins and coatings are incorporated into the molding process, and stainless steel mounting spacers allow airflow between the header pipe and heat shield
(4) Weight . E-Line’s pipe guard weighs less than the stock heat shield and protects more of the head pipe.
(5) Mounting . If you have a stock pipe, the E-Line guard will bolt right on. If you use an aftermarket pipe, E-Line has CNC-machined aluminum mounts to space the carbon fiber away from the head pipe. In order to fit the wide variety of head pipe shapes from Pro Circuit to Yoshimura to FMF to stock, E-Line has to produce an amazing number of heat guards.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? Most aftermarket pipes don’t come with heat shields. The designers feel that most racers want the factory look. Thus, they don’t put pipe guards on their systems. It should be noted that factory riders don’t have to pay for new head pipes.
A clean design that offers light weight, superb quality and a reason for being.