WHAT IS IT? The Kreft PowerDial is an easy-to-install KTM 250/300 power-valve adjuster. It replaces the stock KTM system so that adjustments can be made in seconds.
WHAT’S IT COST? $89.95 (black), $98.95 (Gold).
CONTACT? www.kreftmoto.com or (970) 403-2715.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Kreft PowerDial.
(1) Function. The Kreft PowerDial makes it possible to adjust the spring preload on the KTM 250/300 power valve without tools. In fact, we could pull over to the side of the track and adjust it in seconds before continuing on our merry way.
(2) Adjustments. The KTM power valve is a flapper valve that alters the size of the exhaust port. It opens and closes in relationship to the engine’s rpm. As the rpm increases, the power valve overcomes the resistance of the power-valve spring. The opening of the valve can be changed by increasing or decreasing the preload on the power-valve spring.
(3) Stocker . In stock trim, the KTM 250 and 300 have a preload adjuster, but it takes tools to access and change it. The Kreft PowerDial allows the spring preload to be changed without tools. This is a big plus, because it allows a rider to test as many power-valve settings as he wants without having to go back to the pits to work on the adjuster.
(4) Direction. Once you get the PowerDial set up (the stock setting is 2-1/2 turns out from all the way in), turn it counterclockwise for a more aggressive hit and clockwise for a smoother power delivery. The MXA test riders started by turning the adjuster in one-half turn in and then one-half turn out. The difference between the two settings is easily recognized. In the end, every MXA test rider made his adjustments by turning the dial counterclockwise to get more hit. With a little fine-tuning and a few minutes of testing, you can get the power that best suits your tracks, riding style and weather conditions.
(5) Owner’s manual. The KTM owner’s manual warns riders not to touch the power-valve settings, but that is because they don’t think you are smart enough to do it. The Kreft PowerDial increases your IQ by 20 points.
(6) Fitment. The Kreft PowerDial fits all KTM 250 and 300 two-strokes from 1998 through 2012. It does not work on KTM 125 or 150 models.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? No serious complaints. It installed in five minutes, with the only issue being KTM’s use of a relatively rare square Allen-head bolt on the stock adjuster. We stuck a flat-bladed screwdriver in the square slot to back it out.
The Kreft PowerDial power-valve adjuster won’t give your KTM 250SX or 300XC more power; it will just let you unleash all the power that is already in there.