WHAT IS IT? LightSpeed’s lightweight carbon fiber glide plate is used by the Pro Circuit Kawasaki team. It protects the vital parts of Baggett’s, Durham’s, Cianciarulo’s, Hill’s and Davalos’ powerplants.
WHAT’S IT COST? $199.95.
CONTACT? www.lightspeedperf.com or (714) 990-5767.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the LightSpeed Performance Kawasaki KX250F glide plate.
(1) Construction. When the discussion of carbon fiber hard parts comes up, the MXA wrecking crew automatically thinks of LightSpeed. Willie Amaradio’s company is the leader in carbon fiber development. LightSpeed’s glide plates, case guards and covers are used by most professional race teams. The multi-ply carbon fiber resembles a work of art, but the real beauty is that the carbon fiber is rugged as well as light.
(2) Coverage. The Kawasaki KX250F glide plate we tested is used by the Pro Circuit Kawasaki team and built to their exact specs. It covers the bottom of the cases, as well as the frame rails, water pump and front of the ignition cover. Carbon fiber extends over the frame rails, nearly to the footpegs, for extensive coverage.
(3) Installation. The LightSpeed glide plate has pre-drilled holes that accept all the stock mounting hardware. Simply remove both OEM plastic side guards and the stock skid plate with an 8mm wrench. Once placed in the proper position, the LightSpeed glide plate is held in place by four bolts; the side-guard bolts are not reused.
(4) Protection. Kawasaki is the only manufacturer of the “Big Five” to equip their bikes with a skid plate and side guards. So why spend $200 on an aftermarket glide plate? For starters, the stock skid plate is weaker, smaller and traps dirt under the engine. Furthermore, it doesn’t protect the frame rails. We commend Kawasaki for spec’ing a skid plate, but there’s considerable room for improvement. That’s where LightSpeed comes in.
(5) Benefits. The LightSpeed KX250F glide plate gave us peace of mind. We didn’t worry about dodging roost or riding over big rocks because, we knew that the glide plate would protect the cases. Also, when casing big jumps, the glide plate allowed the bottom of the engine to slide over the dirt instead of digging in.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We have one minor quibble: Once the glide plate was installed, we noticed that the KX250F didn’t sit level on the stand but instead was front-end high.
The LightSpeed glide plate is a smart choice for any Kawasaki KX250F owner. It protects your investment and provides peace of mind. If it’s good enough for the Pro Circuit team, it’s good enough for you.