FIRST LOOK! ALL-NEW 2022 YAMAHA YZ125 TWO-STROKE WITH AN IMPROVED ENGINE
Yamaha is proud to announce the expansion of its benchmark-setting two-stroke motocross lineup, highlighted by a new version of the race-bred YZ125. Features include a powerful new 125cc two-stroke engine, improved suspension, updated brakes, enhanced ergonomics, and new modern YZ styling including updated bodywork with premium embedded graphics. This marks the first full model change for the revered YZ125 in more than 15 years and positions it back at the top of the 125cc two-stroke class by offering the perfect blend of race-winning performance and real-world usability.
NEW 2022 YAMAHA YZ125
The new 2022 YZ125 represents an important evolution in Yamaha’s two-stroke lineage. As the first full model change to the iconic YZ125 in more than 15 years, Yamaha designers and engineers put considerable thought into developing a motorcycle that would be both dominant on the racetrack and user-friendly for developing riders looking to bridge the gap between recreation riding and competitive motocross. The result is a significantly better YZ125.
It starts with a new, more powerful liquid-cooled 125cc two-stroke engine. Every functional part of the 2022 YZ125 engine is new, including the cylinder body, cylinder head, piston, piston pin, connecting rod, crankcase and expansion chamber. It all adds up to increased power across the mid- to high-rpm range. Enhancing fueling and power delivery, a new high-precision Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK38S carburetor with a throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit provide clean, crisp throttle response and superior rideability. A new intake design with VForce4 carbon reed valve leads to a more efficient draw of air into the engine for an improved feeling of power in the high rpm range.
To match increased engine performance, an updated lightweight braking system features larger front pistons, a more rigid caliper, a redesigned 270mm front rotor with a 30% increase in pad contact area and higher friction pad material, all combining to provide exceptional braking power and feel. A redesigned rear rotor maintains the same braking power while dropping outer diameter from 245mm to 240mm, reducing unsprung weight without compromising performance. Taking the YZ125’s category-defining suspension and handling characteristics to a new level, front and rear suspension damping has been revised to further improve bump absorption and cornering performance. Best-in-class Kayaba suspension includes an inverted front fork, now with new fork internals for more precise damping.
A new flatter seat and more narrow fuel tank design, along with smoothly integrated body panels and slimmer radiator shroud width all combine to enable greater freedom of movement forward and back, allowing the rider to easily shift body weight for increased control and confidence. Emphasizing the YZ125’s mission to win races, a bold, aggressive Yamaha Blue and dark blue colorway with premium embedded graphics ensure excellent durability and scratch resistance.
2022 YZ125 FEATURES AND BENEFITS
1. Redesigned liquid-cooled Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS)-equipped 125cc two-stroke engine boasts more power in the mid- to high-range for increased usability over the previous model
2. New high-precision Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK38S carburetor features throttle position sensor and 3D-map-controlled CDI unit resulting in crisp throttle response and superior rideability
3. New straight intake design improves power output, letting the rider feel an excellent pull in the higher revs and a strong sense of over-rev
4. New shorter, lighter muffler
5. High performance brake setup features more rigid front caliper, larger front pistons and redesigned rotors with increased pad contact area for exceptional stopping power and feel, along with less unsprung weight
6. Improved rider ergonomics with a more narrow tank, flatter seat and slimmer radiator shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
7. Fully adjustable Kayaba inverted front fork now includes a leaf spring in the mid-speed valve for increased performance and comfort
8. Revised fully adjustable Kayaba rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat internals
9. Race-proven, highly developed forged aluminum semi-double cradle frame
10. Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight
11. Lightweight finely tuned chassis for nimble handling, more control and less rider fatigue
12. Revised six-speed, close-ratio transmission has wider transmission gear tooth width and new, optimized gear ratios for maximum performance
13. New lightweight rear sprocket design
14. New lightweight chain
15. High-capacity radiator features a 10-row core with blacked-out louvers to deliver maximum cooling and aggressive looks
16. Lightweight aluminum handlebar with two-position adjustable handlebar clamp
17. Adjustable clutch lever with works-style cable adjuster
18. New premium graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
19. Race-developed Bridgestone Battlecross X20 tires
20. The new 2022 YZ125 will be available from dealers this October in next-generation Team Yamaha Blue for $6899 MSRP.