FIRST LOOK! 2022 YAMAHA YZ250 TWO-STROKE GETS A LONG AWAITED UPDATE
Yamaha’s flagship YZ250 two-stroke receives an enhanced lightweight braking system, updated suspension settings, improved ergonomic design with updated, modern YZ styling and new premium graphics. Yamaha is also proud to extend the popular Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Editions to the two-stroke lineup with the new 2022 Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ250 and 2022 Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ125, offering two-stroke aficionados the opportunity to sport the Yamaha factory look of our championship-winning Monster Energy Star Yamaha Racing team.
“At Yamaha, two-strokes are in our blood. That’s why we continue to develop and offer a full range of off-road two-strokes, and why we are so excited about these important new updates to our lineup” said Derek Brooks, Yamaha Motorcycle Product Line Manager. “These bikes are all about providing the fun and exhilaration of a lightweight, powerful two-stroke to the next generation of riders. We feel that Yamaha YZ two-strokes will continue to play an integral role in developing young riders and building future champions.”
NEW 2022 YAMAHA YZ250
Yamaha’s race-tested YZ250 two-stroke is already known for its fast, powerful engine, plush suspension, class-leading handling and rider friendly character. With significant updates for 2022, it’s now even better. Beginning with improved rider ergonomics, a more narrow fuel tank, flatter seat, slimmer radiator shrouds and new side covers all contribute to greater freedom of movement front to back and easier weight transfer. Changes to the seat and bodywork have also enabled a new, straighter intake design, allowing a more efficient intake path to the engine for a better feeling of power in the high rpm range.
The YZ250’s already renowned suspension and handling performance takes another step forward with revised front and rear suspension damping to enhance bump absorption and cornering agility. An updated brake setup includes a more rigid front caliper, larger front pistons, a redesigned 270mm front rotor with a 30% increase in pad contact area and higher friction pad material, all combining to provide exceptional braking power and feel. A redesigned rear rotor maintains the same braking power while dropping outer diameter from 245mm to 240mm, further reducing unsprung weight with no compromise on performance.
Wrapping up the package, a premium new Yamaha Blue and dark blue embedded graphics scheme provides excellent durability and scratch resistance while accentuating the YZ’s racing pedigree. The 2022 YZ250 retains the fast and fun liquid-cooled YPVS-equipped 249cc two-stroke powerplant, the compact chassis and meticulously developed lightweight aluminum frame, and the intuitive handling character and all-around usability that’s made it a favorite among both competitive motocross racers and recreational riders alike.
1. Improved rider ergonomics with a narrow tank, flatter seat and slimmer radiator shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
2. Advanced liquid-cooled YPVS-equipped 249cc two-stroke engine is lightweight, compact and fun, with a wide, hard-hitting powerband
3. New straight intake design improves power output, letting the rider feel an excellent pull in the higher revs and a strong sense of over-rev
4. Advanced Hitachi Astemo Keihin PWK38S carburetor with power jet and throttle position sensor provides extra-crisp throttle response
5. High performance brake setup features larger front pistons, more rigid caliper and redesigned rotors with increased pad contact area for exceptional stopping power and feel, along with less unsprung weight
6. Fully adjustable Kayaba fork features the Speed-Sensitive System for precise handling and superb shock absorption
7. Revised fully adjustable Kayaba rear shock features reduced-friction Kashima Coat™ internals
8. Race-proven, highly developed forged aluminum semi-double cradle frame
9. Removable aluminum rear subframe constructed of square-section tubing for reduced weight
10. Finely tuned lightweight chassis and advanced suspension endow the YZ250 with class-leading handling
11. Smooth-shifting, five-speed, close-ratio transmission ensures confident gear changes in all conditions
11. New lightweight rear sprocket design
12. New lightweight chain
13. High-capacity radiator features a 10-row core with blacked-out louvers to deliver maximum cooling and aggressive looks
14. Lightweight aluminum handlebar with two-position adjustable handlebar clamp
15. Adjustable clutch lever with works-style cable adjuster
16. Premium new graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
17. Race-developed Dunlop Geomax MX33 tires
18. The new 2022 YZ250 will be available from dealers this July in next-generation Team Yamaha Blue for $7799 MSRP.
NEW 2022 YZ250 & YZ125 MONSTER ENERGY RACING EDITIONS
For 2022, Yamaha brings the factory ride look to the two-stroke lineup with the new Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ250 and Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ125. With a sharp, race-team-inspired color and graphics package, riders can stand out from the crowd with the livery of Yamaha’s championship-winning Supercross team.
The new 2022 Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ250 will be available from dealers this July for $7999 MSRP and the new 2022 Monster Energy Yamaha Racing Edition YZ125 will be available from dealers this November for $ 7099 MSRP.