Rider: Justin Cooper
Bike: Star Racing Yamaha YZ250F
Event: 2022 MXND Red Bud
Photographer: Josh Mosiman
TWO-STROKE SPOTLIGHT: JEREMY MCGRATH REPLICA 1996 HONDA CR250
Justin Luke Steyn loves to build legendary replica bikes. He has a true to life Ricky Carmichael 2002 Honda CR250 and this Jeremy McGrath 1996 Honda CR250 replica. How did he get his hands on these parts? Some can be obtained through aftermarket companies while others are from secret sources. Here are a few a details Justin included into his replica build all the way down to the tires. This just might be the world’s mot accurate replica. If you have anything closer than this, send you submission to email@example.com.
· Cloth Renthal bar pad
· HRC replica triple clamps with machined magnesium casting marks in the bar clamps
· HRC replica waterpump guard
· HRC replica pipe and silencer
· 280mm front disc and 1997 rear disc
· Showa Twin Chamber forks
· HRC zip ties
· Legit leftover Throttle Jockey decals, in the correct Nuclear red color
· Period correct Dunlops, now obsolete
· All NOS OEM Honda plastics – not cheap and not easy to find
MOTO // TRIVIA
CHECK OUT SOME OF THE BIGGEST JUMPS ON THE PLANET
MOTO TIP: RIDING SHOULD BE THE BULK OR YOUR TRAINING
MOTO TIP. Riding is the best training for racing. It is a full-body workout that replicates the required movements and heart rates. Ride as much as possible and have a plan when doing so in order to get the most bang for your buck come race day. Doing motos is great at increasing your aerobic base, but it will not increase your anaerobic threshold. To do this, you need to do short intense intervals with a heart rate that comes close to, or above, your peak. You can weave these intense intervals into your regular training regimen. Do two-lap sprint intervals and check your peak heart rate. Was it lower than on race day? Guess what? You’re not trying hard enough. This is common when starting out. When you get there, you’ll know it. You will be toast after the two laps. Now, repeat these intervals five times with a break between each session. The better shape you are in, the shorter the break. Start out with the time it took you to complete one lap, then work from there.
Check out the full article about Anaerobic threshold here.
WSX BRITISH TRACK PREVIEW
HERE IS THE PROPOSED WXS LINEUP FOR THE FIRST BRITISH ROUND
- Ken Roczen / Honda Genuine
- Eli Tomac / Cardiff Wildcard
- Anthony Bourdon / Team GSM
- Thomas Ramette / Team GSM
- Josh Hill / CDR Yamaha
- Luke Clout / CDR Yamaha
- Fredrik Noren / PMG Suzuki
- Brandon Hartranft / PMG Suzuki
- Angelo Pellegrini / Honda NILS
- Jordi Tixier / Honda NILS
- Ryan Breece / Rick Ware Racing
- Joey Savatgy / Rick Ware Racing
- Cade Clason / ClubMX Yamaha
- Grant Harlan / ClubMX Yamaha
- Cedric Soubeyras / BUD Racing Kawasaki
- Gregory Aranda / Bud Racing Kawasaki
- Justin Brayton / Motoconcepts Honda
- Vince Friese / Motoconcepts Honda
- Josh Grant / MDK
- Chad Reed / MDK
- Derek Drake / MDK
- Justin Bogle / MDK
- Maxime Desprey / Team GSM
- Carson Brown / Team GSM
- Shane McElrath / Rick Ware Racing
- Max Anstie / Honda Genuine
- Wilson Todd / Honda Genuine
- Mitchell Oldenburg / Motoconcepts Honda
- Cole Seely / Motoconcepts Honda
- Jace Owen / ClubMX Yamaha
- Phil Nicoletti / ClubMX Yamaha
- Marshal Weltin / PMG Suzuki
- Dilan Schwartz / PMG Suzuki
- Lorenzo Camporese / Honda NILS
- Thomas Do / Honda NILS
- Matt Moss / BUD Racing Kawasaki
- Chris Blose / BUD Racing Kawasaki
- Aaron Tanti / CDR Yamaha
- Kyle Chisholm / CDR Yamaha
MINI TEST // NITROWEDGE FOAM INSERTS
The Nitrowedge is an 8-inch section of a Nitromousse that can be added to increase the psi feel of your current Nitromousse. This concept started when riders began to cut sections from their old Nitromousses and add them in to refresh their current mousses. Nuetech made things simpler by selling a fresh 8-inch wedge. Nitrowedges come in handy for increasing the lifespan and psi feel of an older mousse.
VERDICT: The Nitrowedge adds volume to increase the psi feel of a Nitromousse that has a lot of hours on it or tune the psi feel of a newer mousse.
DIGITS: $139.95 (Nitromousse), $19.95 (Nitrowedge), $5.11 (Nitrolube)—(608) 301-6764 or www.nitromousse.com.
For the full test of the Nitrowedge foam insert click here.
FORGOTTEN BIKES |CAMERON MCADOO’S 2020 SD MILITARY BIKE
MXA MINI QUOTE // BRIAN MYERSCOUGH ON THE PRESSURE OF RACING
As a young kid racing in the big-pressure minicycle races, I won easily. As I got older, I was dealing with depression. I had to deal with that over my lifetime, and it got worse as I got older. I now take antidepressants and have had a lot of therapy. Many things were affecting me that I did not understand. It would have been better if I had had an agent working for me and more guidance from people who knew the ropes.
THE OCTOBER 2022 ISSUE OF MXA IS OUT! SUBSCRIBE AND YOU WON’T MISS ANYTHING
Did you know that you can subscribe to MXA at virtually no cost to you—because when you subscribe you receive a Rocky Mountain ATV/MC credit for $25 towards anything in their massive inventory. Plus, you will get all the content in the 12 monthly issues of Motocross Action magazine—from four-stroke tests, two-stroke tests, retro tests, race coverage, new tech to product tests….most of which never appear on the internet. And, don’t forget, that $25 credit from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC that will more than cover the cost of your subscription. To subscribe call (800) 767-0345 or Click Here
MXA TESTED // 2023 KAWASAKI KX450
MOTO TRIVIA ANSWER: Ryan Terlecki back in 2000 on a KTM 250SX.