WHAT IS IT? The Alpinestars Tech 7 boot is a top-level boot at a mid-level price point. The Tech 10 boots are still Alpinestars’ premier model, but the Tech 7 is a more affordable and more flexible alternative. The Tech 10s are known for being on the stiff side when compared to other premium motocross boots; the Tech 7 boots are known for being on the opposite side of the spectrum. They’re super flexible.
WHAT’S IT COST? $369.95.
CONTACT? www.alpinestars.com or (800) 438-2577.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Alpinestars Tech 7 boots.
(1) Concept. The Alpinestars Tech 7 boots are known for being comfortable to wear and flexible to ride in. The Tech 7s feature a biomechanical pivot on the lateral side of the boot that allows for increased flexibility with less break-in time. Plus, it adds safety by keeping your ankle from moving laterally beyond its capabilities. The boot also uses soft foam reinforcements around the ankle for increased padding and comfort. The Achilles tendon area on the back of the boot has been redesigned to allow more flexibility as well.
(2) Performance. The Alpinestars Tech 7 boots require almost zero break-in time. They are pliable, flexible and don’t hinder movement on the track. Two factors make the Tech 7 more flexible than the Tech 10. One is that it doesn’t have the bi-density front flexion control frame, and the other is that there is no inner bootie. The front flexion control piece is new on the Tech 10s, and it sits in between the bottom and middle strap while working like suspension for your ankle. One downside to the performance of the Tech 7 is that the plastic on the medial side of the boot deforms outward whenever you bend your ankle.
(3) Fit. Comparing the Tech 10 and Tech 7 boots back to back, there’s more wiggle room in the Tech 7. Also, without the inner bootie, your foot sits deeper into the boot, giving you a more traditional feel on the footpegs, whereas the Tech 10 boot makes you stand slightly taller. The toe box on the Tech 7 boot is also wider, which can make the sizing more generous. As for the calf area, the entrance to the Tech 7 boot is wider, making it easier to put on and take off while also accommodating riders with bigger calves.
(4) Durability. The Alpinestars Tech 7 boots hold up well. Typical wear and tear shows up on the soles and inner part of the boot, but the Tech 7 boots don’t lose any strength. The Tech 7 soles are durable, using a dual-compound material and an inner steel shank. They give you a positive boot-to-peg feel without sacrificing comfort and strength.
(5) Price. How can the $369.95 Alpinestars Tech 7 boots be $230 cheaper than the Tech 10s ($599.95) but still be considered a premium boot? After all, the Tech 7s lack the Tech 10’s inner bootie (which provides additional foot support), dynamic heel compression protector (cushions against hard impacts to your feet), and rear blade system (protects against hyper extension). Overall, the Tech 7 boots have fewer moving parts. This makes them lighter and more flexible but also not as strong, so they’re prone to deformation when flexed. The difference between the two boots is noticeable, and the price reflects that. Still, even if money weren’t a factor, some MXA test riders would choose the Tech 7s over the Tech 10s because they are more comfortable.
(6) Options. The Alpinestars Tech 7 boots come in a wide variety of sizes and colors. The sizing ranges from 5 all the way to 16, and there are 12 different color options.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We loved the comfort but wish the sizing fit more like the Tech 10s.
MXA RATING: The Alpinestars Tech 7 is perfect for riders who like flexible boots, short break-in times and an affordable price.