WHAT IS IT? The new 2020.5 Limited Edition Helium gear is like the KTM 450SXF Factory Edition. It features most of the updates that the 2021 FXR Helium gear will have; however, it came out six months earlier and includes unique colors and designs.
WHAT’S IT COST? $79.00 (jersey), $199.00 (pants).
CONTACT? www.fxrracing.com or (877) 999-9798.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the FXR Racing 2020.5 Helium Limited Edition gear.
(1) Jersey. The FXR Racing Helium jersey has a simple and lightweight chassis made with moisture-wicking polyester and a polyester-spandex mesh material. These two fabrics work together to provide a ventilated jersey that dries quickly. The arms and back panel are perforated with small holes to enhance airflow, and the round collar and tapered cuffs also give the jersey a comfortable fit. Additionally, the tail of the jersey extends 1 inch to help it stay tucked in.
(2) Pants. Like the 2020 pants, the main shell utilizes a lightweight and perforated four-way-stretch material to offer flexibility, strength and ventilation. The pants use a dual-layer knee fabric to prevent the cosmetic damage that comes with excessive roost. It also uses a full-grain leather panel at the knee and triple stitching in high contact areas. The waistband features a silicone grip material and is secured with a heavy-duty zipper and simple Velcro closure. It also has sans-a-belt adjustments on each hip to create a customized fit.
(3) Pant updates. FXR Racing’s 2020.5 Limited Edition Helium pants have an updated chassis dubbed the “M-2” or “Motion-2.” It has a new slim-fit knee design with a more aggressive curve that prevents excess material from bunching up at the knees. Second, the updated back yoke of the pants comes without the upper flap that followed the rear of the waistband before. Now, the seat of the pant features a simplified design that has increased flexibility. Last, the seat uses a new material that offers additional flex.
(4) Fit. The updates to the 2020.5 Helium pants create a positive and nonrestrictive contact area on the seat and at the knees. The new pants aren’t skintight, but they do fit closer to the skin than before. Luckily, the stretchy, spandex-infused blend of polyester and nylon allowed the pants to move without hesitation. The slimmer knee and its more aggressive curve were a hit as well. The excess material that previously bound up at the knee is reduced. The jersey is the same as before—and we still like it. It’s neither too tight nor too baggy.
(5) Durability. Our testers were impressed with how well the dual fabric layers held up in the knee area. The only issue we had with durability was at the back of the knee on the breathable mesh inserts. We appreciate that mesh breathes, but our knee braces tore holes in the lightweight material.
(6) Options. The FXR Racing Helium LE gear comes in a six colors and design options. The jersey sizes range from extra small to double-extra large and pant sizes go from 28- to 38-inch waistbands.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? Our complaint is minor. We’d like a more durable material behind our knee braces to prevent tearing.
MXA RATING: The designers at FXR Racing hit the bullseye with their 2020.5 Limited Edition Helium gear. It is light enough to wear at the gym, flexible enough to wear while doing yoga, comfortable enough to wear as pajamas, stylish enough to wear for Supercross, ventilated enough to wear on a hot summer day, and durable enough to wear for a season of racing.