WHAT IS IT? The Motool Slacker V4 digital sag scale was created to help riders get more comfort and performance out of their motorcycles by helping them check their sag in an easier and quicker way. The amount of free sag and race sag your bike has directly correlates with its balance on the track. Motool has been producing Slacker digital suspension tuners since 2012. The V4 is the fourth-generation tuner and the first with Bluetooth accessibility for smartphones and the option to purchase a wireless remote that allows you to check your sag all by yourself (without help).
WHAT’S IT COST? $159.99 (main unit only), $189.99 (Slacker V4 + wireless remote display).
CONTACT? www.motool.com or (800) 741-7702.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Motool Slacker V4 digital suspension tuner.
(1) Concept. The Motool Slacker digital sag scale was created as an innovative replacement for the old-school, ruler-type sag sticks. All you had to do was turn the power on, hook the 32-inch cable to your fender, zero out the scale and have your buddy read your race sag off the screen (the original Slacker also came with a digital remote that was plugged into the Slacker unit so that you could read your own sag while sitting on your bike).
(3) Balance. Previously, checking your sag required you to sit on the bike and have another person measure the amount of sag at the rear fender. To utilize the Bluetooth capabilities and check your sag by yourself, we recommend balancing on your bike by holding onto the top frame of an E-Z UP or by resting your arm on a truck. For accurate readings, make sure that your bike is on flat ground and your arm is only being used for balance and not to hold any of your weight.
(4) The app. The Motool Service Assistant app is available to download for free on Apple and Android devices. It turns your smartphone into a virtual remote display, giving you real-time readings on your sag measurements. Simply connect via Bluetooth from your smartphone to the app like you would when connecting your phone to the stereo in your vehicle. Additionally, the app provides a space for you to record measurements and keep notes on multiple bikes and their suspension settings.
(5) Wireless remote. If you don’t want to bother with a smartphone, Motool has answered MXA’s wishes and updated its remote LCD display with new wireless capabilities. Using the remote is the simplest way to measure sag by yourself in the garage late at night.
(6) Warranty. The new V4 Slacker comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If your bike doesn’t handle better after adjusting your sag with the Slacker V4 digital suspension tuner, you can return it, no questions asked. Plus, it comes with a two-year warranty if you have any structural issues with the Slacker.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? The C-clamp doesn’t fit perfectly on each rear fender. MXA doesn’t use the C-clamp. Instead, we drill a small hole in the rear fender and put the hook into it to get an accurate reading.
MXA RATING: The Motool Slacker V4 digital suspension tuner will be your new best friend. It was created by racers for racers. Riders should check their sag at regular intervals to compensate for slop on the shock’s spring and internal valving. Being able to do it yourself means that you can do it whenever you like.