By Ben Bridges
450 1ST PLACE: DYLAN FERRANDIS
• Dylan is now a two-time motocross AMA National Motocross Champion. He won the AMA 250 National Championship in 2020 and now the 450 National Championship in 2021.
• Dylan is the sixth foreign rider to win the premiere AMA Championship—joining Ken Roczen (Germany), Chad Reed (Australia), Grant Langston (South Africa), Greg Albertyn (South Africa) and Jean-Michel Bayle (France).
• Dylan has won a total of 15 AMA Nationals.
• Dylan is the first French racer to win both the 125/250 and 250/450 National titles (although Jean-Michael Bayle won the 250 National (precursor to the 450 class), 500 National and Supercross Championships in 1991.
• Ferrandis is the fourth rider in motocross history to win the 250 National title then move up to the 450 class and win it the next season.
• Dylan’s eight moto wins in the 2021 series are the least amount for a champion since Grant Langston won four in 2007. Langston is also the last 450 National champion on a Yamaha.
• Dylan’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 2.04 with eight moto wins with six overall victories.
450 2ND PLACE: ELI TOMAC
• Eli Tomac has won four AMA National Championships—three in the 450 class and one in the 125/250 class. He won titles in 2013, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
• Eli has been in the top five in National points standings ten times during his career.
• Eli Tomac has won at least one National for 10 seasons.
• 2021 was the sixth straight season where Eli Tomac has placed in the top three in 450 National points. Only Ryan Dungey and Ricky Carmichael (with seven in-a-row) have done better.
• Eli’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 4.08 with six moto wins with two overall victories.
450 3RD PLACE: KEN ROCZEN
• Ken Roczen has won the AMA 450 National Championship twice—in 2014 for KTM and 2016 for Suzuki.
• Ken has won 21 AMA National events.
• Ken is the first and only German citizen to win AMA National titles.
• Ken is second only to Dutchman Pierre Karsmakers for the most wins by a foreign rider.
• For the fourth time since 2016 there were two foreign riders in the top three of the final point standings.
• Ken’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 6.25 with seven moto wins with two overall victories.
2021 TOP TEN IN AMA 450 NATIONAL POINTS
1. Dylan Ferrandis (Yam)…531
2. Eli Tomac (Kaw)…458
3. Ken Roczen (Hon)…446
4. Cooper Webb (KTM)…358
5. Chase Sexton (Hon)…342
6. Christian Craig (Yam)…292
7. Marvin Musquin (KTM)…240
8. Joey Savatgy (KTM)…240
9. Justin Barcia, (Gas)…239
10. Aaron Plessinger (Yam)…232
250 1ST PLACE: JETT LAWRENCE
• The 2021 AMA 250 National Championship was Jett Lawrence’s first-ever title.
• Jett has won five AMA National events in his short two-year AMA career.
• Jett is the first Australian to win the AMA 125/250 National Championship, although Chad Reed won the 2004 AMA Supercross Championship, 2008 Supercross title and the 2009 AMA 450 National Championship.
• This is Honda’s first AMA 250 National Championship since Eli Tomac won it back in 2013.
• Jett Lawrence is the fourth foreign motocross rider to win the 250 National Championship, following Grant Langston (South Africa), Dean Wilson (Scotland) and Dylan Ferrandis (France) .
• 2021 was the first time in AMA history that an American rider did not win a 125/250 or 250/450 National Championship.
• Jett’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 3.04 with eight moto wins with four overall victories.
250 2ND PLACE: JUSTIN COOPER
• Justin Cooper has won four AMA National events.
• Justin has been in the top five in points every full season he has raced in the AMA 250 National series.
• Justin was the only rider to be on the podium at all twelve rounds this season.
• Justin was second in the 2021 250 National Championship even though he had better average moto finishes than Jett.
• Justin’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 3.0 with seven moto wins with two overall victories.
250 3RD PLACE: HUNTER LAWRENCE
• Hunter Lawrence has won a single AMA 250 National in his career (Southwick 2021).
• 2021 was Hunter’s best season with a third in points. Previous to that his second best finish was tenth overall in 2019.
• The Lawrence brothers are the first Australian brothers to finish in the top three in the final point standings in the same season.
• 2021 was the fifth time that two foreign riders would be in the top three of the final point standings in the same season.
• Hunter’s average moto finishes over 24 motos was 5.92 with two moto wins with one overall victory.
2021 TOP TEN IN AMA 250 NATIONAL POINTS
1. Jett Lawrence (Hon)…497
2. Justin Cooper (Yam)…491
3. Hunter Lawrence (Hon)…381
4. RJ Hampshire (Hus)…364
5. Jo Shimoda (Kaw)…340
6. Jeremy Martin (Yam)…307
7. Austin Forkner (Kaw)…256
8. Michael Mosiman (Gas)…252
9. Max Vohland (KTM)…236
10. Dilan Schwartz (Suz)…209