LUONGO STRIKES AGAIN! CHARLOTTE USGP CANCELED
Click on images to enlarge
When the 2017 MXGP schedule was announced last year, Glen Helen was scheduled for the Motocross des Nations and Charlotte Motor Speedway for its second USGP on September 3. Now, right before the 2017 MXGP season stars in lovely, loamy and scenic Qatar GP (in your dreams), Glen Helen’s MXDN was dropped (for the second time) and the Charlotte USGP are both off the 2017 schedule—as officially announced on Youthstream’s website. Youthstream blames it on Charlotte (through its proprietary mouthpiece web site), but more than likely it all revolves around money.
Youthstreams says, “The future venue for the Monster Energy MXGP of USA will be announced shortly.”
According to Giuseppe Luongo the Italian GP in Maggiora is also in trouble.”Maggiora is a serious problem. The organizer went to court, to make some construction on the green area and they have the papers from the local council, but there is an opposition to that local council, who have said that it was in a green area. So, the track has been closed. Everyone is scared when talking about the greenies. We already have a plan B, and if Maggiora can’t run it, then the same promoter will run at Mantova or another venue. If they clear up the paper, they will come back to Maggiora. We have until the end of March to clear up the problem,” said Luongo
Meanwhile the Qatar Grand Prix is on the last year of it five-year contract and a new contract has not been signed. Given the state of the sport in Qatar, the total lack of spectator support and the poor quality of the track (certainly not up to the standards of a World Championship venue — unless you count the road race circuit next to the fairgrounds-style MXGP venue), the best thing that could happen to the sport would be for the GPs to move the race to a true motocross country with a real race track.