MXA TEAM TESTED: ALPINESTARS TECH 10 SUPERVENTED BOOTS
WHAT IS IT? Alpinestars flagship Tech 10 boots have played a major role in the brand’s widespread popularity in the action sports world. Now, Alpinestars has introduced its all-new Tech 10 Supervented boots. The Supervented boots have the structural build of the newly redesigned Tech 10 boots while also increasing ventilation to reduce your body temperature on the track.
The Alpinestars Tech 10 Supervented boots are currently the only ventilated motocross boots on the market, but they’re not the first. In fact, Alpinestars introduced its Ventil-Action boots over 30 years ago.
WHAT’S IT COST? $649.95.
CONTACT? www.alpinestars.com or (800) 409-0903.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Alpinestars Tech 10 Supervented boots.
(1) Concept. The Tech 10 Supervented boots were originally designed for Alpinestars off-road star Ricky Brabec, the first American rider to win the Dakar Rally. With the Rally spanning 4900 miles over 13 days in the deserts of Saudi Arabia, vented boots can make a big difference.
(2) Technology. The patented construction was designed to stream air into the boot through two inlet ports in the toe box and through the mesh intake material behind the straps on the front of the boot. Once inside, air flows through open channels in the sole of the inner bootie to cool your feet before exiting through the exhaust ports at the back and on the sides of the boot.
(3) Breathability. Alpinestars claims 34-percent-better heat dissipation on the Tech 10 Supervented boots compared to Alpinestars’ non-vented offerings. The MXA wrecking crew noticed the increased airflow when riding through the pits, riding slow on the track or when trail riding. We didn’t notice the vents while racing, but that’s to be expected. The vents certainly aren’t a gimmick. They allow air (and dust) to permeate the inner bootie and your riding socks. Luckily, Alpinestars has implemented a soft microfiber gaiter to help seal out excess water and dirt. We were impressed with the gaiter’s ability to keep rocks, dirt clods and even water out of the boot.
(4) Sole. The new outsole on the Tech 10 has been completely redesigned with proprietary grip sculpturing to improve the contact feel between your boot and the footpeg.
(5) Performance. The Alpinestars Tech 10 boot is one of the most high-tech boots in motocross; however, some riders feel that the extra technical aspects create a complex boot with restricted mobility. Those who like pliable boots don’t like the Tech 10’s rigid structure and longer break-in period. They typically choose the more limber Tech 7. Now, they can try the Tech 10 again because the Supervented boots break in quicker and flex more to improve connectivity at the foot pegs. Additionally, the sturdy structure of the Tech 10 chassis offers more protection for your ankles, feet and legs than most softer boots.
(6) Durability. We expected the durability to suffer because of the Supervented boots’ perforation and increased flexibility. We did suffer wear damage to the front lip of the toe box, which peeled the vent forward and tore the perforated front leather.
(7) Options. The Alpinestars Tech 10 Supervented boots retail for $50 more than the standard Tech 10s and are available in two color options: all white or black/white/gray/red. The sizing ranges from adult sizes 7 to 14.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? The most noticeable vents at the front of the toe box get clogged with dirt, which eliminates the venting.
MXA RATING: If you ride in warmer weather, or you are interested in trying a softer pair of Tech 10s, go with the Supervented model.