MXA TEAM TESTED: FXR RACING PODIUM GEAR
WHAT IS IT? FXR Racing is a Canadian-based company that got its start making snowmobile gear and is currently an industry leader in the snowmobile gear market. FXR first started making motocross gear in 2001 and has become one of the fastest-growing gear companies in the industry. The FXR Podium line was designed for 2020 to offer performance and function without breaking the bank.
WHAT’S IT COST? $45.00 (jersey), $139.00 (pant).
CONTACT? www.fxrracing.com or (877) 999-9798.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the FXR Racing Podium gear.
(1) Jersey. The Podium jersey is built with a durable, 100-percent premium polyester fabric. The material is moisture-wicking, which allows it to dry quickly. It has a comfortable slim fit with a tag-less neck, stretchable round collar and tapered cuffs. The back of the jersey is cut 1-1/2 inches longer in the tail to keep it tucked in, and the sublimated graphic designs ensure that the jersey won’t fade over time.
(2) Pants. FXR’s four-way stretch panels are made from a blend of polyester and spandex. These panels are integrated with 600-denier fabric for added durability. The stretch material works in conjunction with a durable dual-layer knee fabric and triple top-stitching in high-stress areas to ensure less wear and tear. The pants also have a slim-fit knee design to provide a positive contact area for the rider without excess material getting in the way. The inner knees feature genuine cowhide leather patches that are 10 inches by 5-1/2 inches. The Podium pants have a silicone-printed inner elastic waistband for extra grip and security. The waistband is tightened with a hook-and-loop-adjustable system and two sans-a-belt systems on the outside of the waistband‚ one on each side‚ to provide an extra 2-1/2 inches of adjustability. The inner liner is mesh, and it goes halfway down to prevent knee braces from snagging.
(3) Fit. Our testers appreciate the modern athletic fit that many gear companies have incorporated into their lineups. Both the jersey and pant are comfortable and not restrictive. The jersey fits nicely without excess material, while the pants have a snug feel. The hook-and-loop system on the waistband improves the fit, keeping our pants from sliding down, even on gripper seats.
(4) Durability. The dual-layer knee fabric with full-grain leather and abrasion-resistant inner fabric held up to our toughest test riders. The genuine leather patches are placed in the perfect position to resist knee-brace wear and tear.
(5) Performance. The new Podium gear may be a lower-level line for FXR, but we didn’t realize it until we compared the prices. Our test riders enjoyed the lightweight and flexible pants, and they never felt restricted when moving around on the bike. The materials were breathable, which helped keep our testers cool during long motos.
(6) Options. The all-new FXR Podium gear comes in six different colorways (and an Air version for hot weather). The jersey sizes range from extra small to double-extra large, while the pants fit 28- to 38-inch waists.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? Some of the stitching on the backside of the pants began to fray after many hours of testing.
MXA RATING: With an athletic fit and lightweight stretch materials on the pants, we didn’t expect them to hold up very well, but their durability was great. We put our toughest gear testers on the job, and even they couldn’t wear any holes in the knees. We also enjoyed the flexibility of the gear and the sturdy waistband.