MXA TEAM TESTED: HALLMAN RACING GEAR
WHAT IS IT? Torsten Hallman, the four-time World Motocross Champion from Sweden, played an instrumental role in bringing the sport of motocross to America. He was originally sent across the Atlantic to promote Husqvarna motorcycles, and while winning races, he saw a need for quality motocross gear in the U.S. market. Starting with leather pants and gloves, Torsten Hallman joined forces with Lars Larsson and Birgita Berlin to form the first motocross gear company in the United States back in 1968. Thor MX has been a staple brand for over 50 years, and the special edition Hallman line is an offshoot of Thor MX gear and uses modern materials with a vintage style.
WHAT’S IT COST? $50.00 (jersey), $125.00 (pants).
CONTACT? www.thormx.com or your local dealer.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Hallman Racing gear.
(1) Concept. Instead of creating a few limited-edition gear sets, Thor MX decided to launch a full collection of Hallman motocross jerseys, pants, gloves and apparel to pay homage to its founder. Currently, the 2021 Hallman Racing collection is made up of eight jerseys and two pants that can be mixed and matched. There are four standard-style polyester jerseys, two vented polyester mesh jerseys and two 100-percent cotton vintage-style jerseys. The jerseys can be matched with either black or tan Hallman Legend pants.
(2) Jersey. We chose the Hallman Racing Tapd Air jersey for our test. It’s made from polyester mesh main fabric with great football-jersey-like ventilation. The chassis of the Tapd Air jersey is based off the Thor MX Pulse Air jersey, and it’s very comfortable with set-in sleeves and four-way stretch material in the cuffs and collar. The moisture-wicking fabric and no-fade sublimated graphics allow increased breathability, and the vintage woven stripes run down the sleeves to create an authentic retro style.
(3) Pants. The main chassis of the Hallman Legend pant is made with abrasion-resistant materials, and it uses full-grain leather knee panels to increase all-around durability. The chassis has a pre-curved knee with stretch zones all the way down the outer leg of the pant to increase mobility. The waist is tightened with a ratchet-style closure, and it uses adjustable, sans-a-belt, Velcro side cinches to provide a snug fit. With the focus on style, durability and mobility, the Legend pant doesn’t have any ventilation.
(4) Fit. The Hallman Tapd Air jersey is not anything like the athletic-fitting Thor MX Prime Pro gear; it is more comfortably tailored. On a scale from skintight to shapeless, this jersey is middle of the road—not too tight and not too baggy. The Hallman Legend pant has a relaxed fit that is a little baggier than the jersey. The pants use thicker materials to boost durability, and the vintage graphics are sewn into the pant to imitate the style and strength of vintage leather pants while using modern construction techniques that leave plenty of room for knee pads or braces. They don’t fit like the original leather pants at all, but we’re happy they aren’t skin tight.
(5) Durability. The Tapd Air jersey holds up well against roost and crashes. The polyester mesh fabric is completely perforated with holes that are easily visible to the eye. It’s a strong and efficient way to vent a jersey, but it’s not great at keeping dirt out. The Legend pants are built to last with double and triple stitching and thicker materials. No motocross pant is bulletproof when it comes to gripping the bike at the knees and being pelleted by roost, but the Hallman pants held up better than most other pants we’ve tested.
(6) Options. The Hallman Tapd Air jersey and Legend pants are both available in two different colorways. The jersey sizes range from small to triple extra large, and the pant sizes range from 28- to 44-inch waists.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? No complaints.
MXA RATING: The Hallman gear is a great blend of vintage style and modern performance. It’s comfortable to wear, durable enough to race in and has a unique style that will allow you to stand out from the pack.