MXA TEAM TESTED: MOOSE RACING SAHARA GEAR
WHAT IS IT? Sahara gear is Moose Racing’s ventilated line of motocross gear. It is designed to keep you cool on hot summer days. Every gear company boasts about its ventilation tactics, but Moose Racing’s Sahara kit is arguably the most breathable gear on the market. With Moose Racing offering six different sets of vented gear compared to the one or two sets that competing brands offer, you can tell that Moose Racing takes its vented lineup seriously.
WHAT’S IT COST? $39.95 (jersey), $129.95 (pants).
CONTACT? www.mooseracing.com or your local dealer.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Moose Racing Sahara gear.
(1) Jersey. The 2021 Moose Racing Sahara jersey has ventilation that is practically unmatched. The entire jersey is perforated with holes to maximize air flow. The front of the jersey and the sleeves use smaller holes to boost durability against roost, while the back of the jersey has bigger holes to let off steam. The jersey also has a new chassis design to increase mobility. It has a 3-inch-longer tail to keep it tucked in, as well as a custom collar and stretch neck taping to help with comfort.
(2) Pants. The Moose Racing Sahara pants use highly ventilated polyester mesh material in the front with reinforced high-denier seat and knee construction to improve durability. The pants also have a pre-bent ergonomic design to limit binding and provide you with confidence and comfort. The knees use full-grain leather inner panels and slightly padded front material to protect against roost. Inside the pant is a 3/4-length mesh liner to help with durability and comfort. The waist features side-cinching Velcro straps that allow for 2-1/2 inches of adjustability, and a click-type closure is used to secure the pants at the front.
(3) Fit. The sizing on the Moose Racing Sahara gear is standard when compared to the Moose Racing M1 gear, but it’s slightly bigger than the new athletic-fitting Moose Agroid gear. It also fits slightly bigger than other brands’ pants. Our test riders usually drop down a size in both the jersey and pants when wearing the Moose Sahara gear. We recommend trying it on at your local dealer before buying. With the correct sizing, the gear has a comfortable fit. The jersey is comfortable but not too baggy. The Sahara pants are comfortable as well, and, best of all, they don’t hinder movement. Additionally, the oversized knee area gives you plenty of room for bigger knee braces and knee pads.
(4) Durability. The Sahara gear has been very durable in the past, but the newer-generation Sahara line didn’t hold up like we expected it to. We found tears in the foam padded knee area from roost, and knee braces tore holes behind the leather knee patches as well. Our biggest issue was the holes we tore at the seams on our inner thighs. The other holes weren’t far from normal wear and tear, but we didn’t expect to see holes on the seam connecting the durable seat of the pant to the stretchable material on the inner legs.
(5) Options. The Moose Racing Sahara gear is available in six different colorways with three different designs. The jersey sizes range from small to triple extra large, and the pant sizes range from 28- to 42-inch waists.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? We usually celebrate the durability of Moose Racing gear. In this Moose Sahara gear versus MXA test-rider battle, the pants left with holes and the rider expected a longer fight.
MXA RATING: Overall, the Moose Racing Sahara gear is comfortable, breathable and clean-looking. We appreciate the simple design. After all, looking good is half the battle. When it’s hot, we always choose Moose Sahara gear to take to the races. Why? It was made for extreme heat, even its name is borrowed from one of the hottest places in the world.