MXA TEAM TESTED: MOOSE SAHARA VENTED GEAR
WHAT IS IT? Moose Racing Sahara gear is the company’s vented gear line that comes in at a reasonable price point and offers lots of cool features (no pun intended).
WHAT’S IT COST? $39.95 (jersey), $139.95 (pants).
CONTACT? www.mooseracing.com or your local dealer.
WHAT STANDS OUT? Here’s a list of things that stand out with the Moose Racing Sahara gear.
(1) Jersey. The Moose Racing Sahara jersey is lightweight and breathable. It’s made of highly ventilated polyester mesh, and you can feel the air cooling you down. The jersey has a comfortable fit, and it will accommodate riders of all shapes and sizes. The round neck-collar design, snug arm cuffs and standard sleeves make for a seamless fit. The jersey has a tail that extends 4-1/2 inches at its longest point with a silicone pattern to keep the jersey tucked into the rider’s pants.
(2) Pants. The chassis of the Moose Sahara pants is made with ventilated polyester and a reinforced, high-denier polyester seat. All of the graphics are sublimated, which makes them breathable and non-fading. The pant legs are pre-bent for comfort when in the riding position. The cuffs of the pants have two panels—one of them is elastic, which helps for ease of access. The Sahara pants come with a Velcro sans-a-belt strap on the waistband of both hips that allows 2 inches of waist adjustment. The three-point adjustment system allows you to fine-tune the fit. The waistband is sturdy without any elastic materials, which helps keep the pants in the correct position without riding up or down. The click-type closure on the waist isn’t the easiest to use, as our test riders had to look down at their waist before they could release the closure. The inside liner of the pant is 1/2 length and made with a fine, soft mesh material that doesn’t get caught on your knee brace’s Velcro. The genuine-leather knee patches are 10 inches long and 5 inches wide.
(3) Fit. The overall fit of the Moose Sahara gear is light and comfortable and not restrictive.
(4) Performance. Our testers liked many features of the Sahara gear. The lightweight and breathable feel ranks with the best. The range of motion is also top-notch. For our skinny riders, the sleeves were just a little baggy, but this wasn’t noticeable once on the track. The Sahara gear is durable; however, after substantial seat time, our test rider’s wore three small holes in the mesh material—one on the inside of the pants near the leather and the other two in the saddle of the pants.
(5) Knee braces. The knee area on the pant is oversized to easily fit bigger knee braces. We personally liked this feature, but the knees might be too big for someone who doesn’t use knee braces. Sahara pants have a reputation for being the most ventilated pants on the market—and that reputation is well-deserved.
(6) Options. The Moose Racing Sahara gear comes in six different colors. The jersey comes in sizes small to XXX-Large. The Sahara pants are available in waist sizes from 28 to 42 inches.
WHAT’S THE SQUAWK? Our complaints are minor. We’d like an easier-to-use closure system on the pants to make getting them on and off quicker and simpler. We’d also like to see more material on the inside of the knee area next to the leather patch to prevent tears from knee braces.
MXA RATING: If you want the coolest motocross gear for swampy Louisiana, desert-like SoCal, humid Kansas or 110-degree Nevada, the Sahara is it. The Moose Racing Sahara gear is comfortable and offers the best ventilation around. With a mid-range price point, the Sahara gear offers great bang for your buck.