THE OTHER GUY JUST BLINKED: TEAM ITALY MAKES A COMPROMISE, CAIROLI AND PHILIPPAERTS WILL BE AT THE MXDN
Jersey-Gate is over! In a meeting between a bunch of suits from the FIM (including President Giuseppe Luongo and Wolfgang Srb) an agreement was reached about the Italian team jersey. Both KTM and Yamaha wanted their logos to be on the front of the Italian jersey. Team Italy wanted it to look more like the soccer World Cup jersey that is traditionally worn by Italian teams. In the end KTM and Yamaha held strong and won. Italy for their part, gets a better team for the MXDN.
Here is the compromise agreed on by Team Italy, KTM and Yamaha:
(1) The upper half of the jersey will feature the Italian Federations’ logo.
(2) The lower half of the jersey will feature the Teams’ and Riders’ logos.
(3) The sleeves will feature the Teams’ and Riders’ logos.
(4) The back will feature the Riders’ name and number.
(5) The jersey color will be decided by the Federation.
This agreement clears the way for Tony Cairoli and David Philippaerts to race the Motocross des Nations in Denver on the September 26. Alessandro Lupino will be the other Italian team member. Previously selected riders, Manuel Monni and Davide Guarneri, were given the boot of Italy.