2022 YAMAHA YZ85LW & YZ85 DIRT BIKE MODELS
Press Release: As an important entry into the world of competitive motocross, the YZ85 has long been the mini race bike of choice for future champions. Light, nimble and fun with a high-performance two‑stroke engine and top-shelf suspension, it serves up big-bike spec in a small bike package. Along with its proven liquid-cooled YPVS-equipped 85cc powerplant, fully adjustable suspension and large-diameter brakes, the new 2022 YZ85 boasts numerous enhancements to expand its overall performance.
Rider ergonomics have been improved by way of a new, more narrow tank design, flatter seat, new side covers and slimmer, symmetrically sized radiator shrouds. This enables greater freedom of movement for smooth shifting of body weight and better machine control. Along with the new bodywork, a sharp, new premium graphics scheme inspired by its YZ125 sibling highlights its distinctive race-bred YZ DNA. The redesigned seat and rear bodywork also enable an updated rear-positioned straight-through intake for an improved feeling of power in the low rpm range.
For demanding junior racers, the new YZ85 has been enhanced in several key chassis areas to optimize strength and rigidity, including revisions to the mainframe, swingarm and rear wheel axle. The aluminum swingarm was redesigned to enhance the balance between longitudinal and torsional rigidity for improved handling stability. A new removable rear subframe constructed from lightweight, high-strength aluminum reduces weight. The rear brake master cylinder now has a built-in sub-reservoir providing more linear brake response and increased control.
New for 2022, the YZ85 Large Wheel (LW) model takes the race-winning YZ85 formula and enhances off-road capability even more with the addition of a larger 19-inch front wheel and 16-inch rear wheel wrapped in high performance 70/100/19 front and 90/100/16 rear Dunlop® MX3S tires. A longer swingarm accommodates the larger rear wheel and increases handling stability. The YZ85LW is designed to be the ideal transition between the standard YZ85 and the full size YZ125, perfect for those advanced 85cc riders looking for a more “big-bike” feel.
- New improved rider ergonomics with a more narrow tank, flatter seat and slimmer, symmetrical shrouds offering greater freedom of movement
- New straight intake design improves feeling of power in the low rpm range
- New removable lightweight aluminum rear subframe is 570g lighter than previous steel frame
- New Redesigned aluminum swingarm improves longitudinal and torsional rigidity
- New rear brake master cylinder design with built-in sub-reservoir provides more linear brake response
- New premium graphics are now embedded for improved durability and scratch resistance
- New lightweight handlebar is 40g lighter than previous model
- Four-position handlebar mounts adjust to suit rider preference
- Advanced 85cc two-stroke engine features the Yamaha Power Valve System for broad power delivery
- Crankcase design features a spacer-style reed valve intake for improved air/gas flow
- Hitachi Astemo® Keihin PWK28 flat-slide carburetor offers seamless throttle response
- Race-proven KYB inverted cartridge fork and KYB rear shock are fully adjustable
- Big 220mm and 190mm wave-rotor disc brakes offer precise control and one-finger stopping power
- Transmission features oversized gears for enhanced engagement and smoother shifts
- Blue lightweight rims are stylish, durable, reduce unsprung weight and come wrapped in high performance Dunlop® MX3S tires
- High-capacity lightweight radiator has large cores for efficiency and new blacked-out louvers for a more aggressive look
The new 2022 YZ85 and YZ85LW will both be available from dealers this December in next-generation Team Yamaha Blue for $4,799 and $4,999 MSRP, respectively.